Possibly useful article on Peru in Telecoms Policy Journal

Just spotted this, sorry that copyright doesn’t permit me to share the article itself: Telecommunications policy ISSN 0308-5961 VOL 44, NUMB 10 (2020)
Title: Small rural operators techno-economic analysis to bring mobile services to isolated communities: The case of Peru Amazon rainforest
Abstract: A large number of rural communities in developing countries do not have access to communications services, unlike urban areas where these services have rapidly grown. This connectivity gap is mainly caused by the urban-oriented business models of traditional operators, which are not cost-effective in regions that are characterized by isolation, low population density, and scarcity of resources.
This paper analyzes a feasible and sustainable strategy to deploy mobile communications services (voice and data) in isolated communities in developing countries with less than 1000
inhabitants by combining appropriate low-cost technologies and an innovative business model fostered by recent regulation. This innovative model is based on the legal figure of the SRO (Small
Rural Operator), which is specifically oriented to reach small communities in isolated rural areas.
The results are based on a real deployment in 6 communities of the Peruvian Amazon, which was carried out by a consortium of universities, NGOs (Non-Government Organizations), and
cellular operators. This deployment allowed us to obtain practical information on the cost structure of mobile networks in isolated areas, characterize the rural demand and the revenues
associated with it, and understand how the business model of traditional operators could be adapted. This information permitted us to propose, implement and validate the SRO approach.
The paper shows the results of this research and provides some lessons learned.
The main conclusion is that the recent Peruvian regulation opened a niche market for SROs who want to offer services in isolated communities with less than 1000 inhabitants.

3 Likes

Hi @clairemilne
Thanks so much for sharing - link to the article is here: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0308596120301312

If anyone wants a copy, DM me…

Kathleen

1 Like

Very interesting project - thanks for sharing.

TUCAN3G website here.

Video here.

Thank you Eric! Four years on from that video, have you any comments on how things are now going? For example, is the equipment being maintained? Any negative developments?

Best regards, Claire

···

On Wed, 13 Jan 2021, at 09:24, Eric Nitschke via Community Networks wrote:

|
Eric

13 January

|

• | - |

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Hi Claire. I’m not involved with the project - but I just emailed their coordinator(s) an invite to our discussions here.