Local services are a very useful resource in Community Networks as we usually have much more bandwidth within our local network than with the outside world, and there is a big chance that many members of our community need similar services, so we can get the most out of our locality.
In this chance I was researching about what services could be used for video chat or videoconferencing.
My priorities were:
- simple to use
- use of local bandwidth, ideally works without being connected to the internet
- ideally can talk with the internet if possible
- Free/Libre Open Source Software
Within this priorities I found these:
- jami.net : It has the advantage of allowing local and global calls, as well as one to one and party call (though party call is difficult to do, the user experience could be improved).
- meshenger: It provides local-only one-to-one video calls.
- steves.app: It is a tool to share your screen/camera with someone else. Requires access to the internet if using the hosted version, or you can host your own locally and it would work disconnected to the internet. Once all the parties are connected, it doesn’t use internet bandwidth for video transmission, only for
Do you know of any other options?